My several years in the word game have learnt me several rules:
- Avoid Alliteration. Always.
- Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
- Avoid cliches like the plague (they’re old hat).
- Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
- One should never generalize.
- Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
- Be more or less specific.
- Sentence fragments? Eliminate.
- Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
- Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are unnecessary.
- Who needs rhetorical questions?
Related: Get Parents Reading Aloud