Distributing £1 book tokens to discount any book, these can also buy outright one of the twelve books on the current year’s reading list.
The event offers every child and young person the opportunity to have a book of their own. Designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, it is marked in over 100 countries.
The World Book Day organisation works with schools and nurseries to distribute £1 tokens. The 2022 book tokens are valid from Thursday 17th February 2022 to Sunday 27th March 2022.
This is the charity’s 25th anniversary, with an ongoing focus on reaching children from disadvantaged backgrounds. The theme this year is “You Are A Reader”.
As well as a host of live events, many schools choose to hold a fancy-dress day where pupils dress as their favourite book characters.
The £1 books are also available in braille, large print and audio via Guide Dogs and RNIB.
The 2022 book £1 book list:
- Hey Duggee: The World Book Day Badge (Laydbird)
- Rocket Rules! by Nathan Bryon and Dapo Adeola (Puffin)
- Dinosaur Roar and Friends! (Macmillan)
Early Readers 6+
- Silly Book True or False by Matt Lucas (Farshore)
- Jemma The Pig and the 127 Acorns by Michael Morpurgo (HarperCollins)
- The Worst Class in the World in Danger by Joanna Nadin (Bloomsbury)
- Welcome to Grimwood by Nadia Shireen (Simon & Schuster)
Fluent Readers 8+
- The Wizard and Me by Simon Farnaby (Hachette)
- Peak Peril by Sharna Jackson (Knights Of)
- Think Like a Boss by Rashmi Sirdeshpande (Hachette)
Independent Readers 11+
- The Last Word by Ben Bailey Smith (Bloomsbury)
- Boy Missing by Sophie McKenzie (Simon & Schuster)